RCU Forums - View Single Post - Voltage drop and the dreaded "Brownout" , What's really at fault ?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I forgot to mention that if whatever receiver you are using has a circuit board with the etched "traces" made too small they can not carry the Amps ,
I personally witnessed a test to destruction of a 8-channel RX a few years back. We applied a steady 6 volts to the RX and increased the current load in steps. We finally got the RX to fail at something north of 65 amps. Unless you do something really wrong there just is no way you are ever going to draw that much in a plane. I don't care how big it is or how many servos you are running.

EMCOTEC wired up a 14-servo 40% planes a few years back with on board data recording. They measured an average load of 4 to 5 amps total with transient spikes to 30 amps during snap rolls. This is consistent with my own experience with large gas planes. About 4 amps average with short lived transient spikes.

And finally, I've asked both Horizon and Hobbico if they have ever seen a receiver that failed due to current overload on the servo bus. The answer was no.

Bottom line is this is something you really do not have to worry about unless you have somehow managed to set your radio up so every servo can be simultaneously mechanically stalled.