RCU Forums - View Single Post - Voltage drop and the dreaded "Brownout" , What's really at fault ?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
JOHN: Those Servo City Servo Boards are only $18.00 and I love them !!! That was the cure for my receivers...it works great. It is a lot cheaper than a jr Receiver.

I only use A-123 for the receiver power...6.6V I don't like regulators so what are you using for your servos?

Question: How do you know if a servo is rated for 4.8V or 6.0V ??? Just because they show the Torque for 6v input for a particular Servo does not mean it is rated for 6v use...So how do we know? I find that very misleading.

Yes I know, thank you ... if you buy the un-assembled kit, you can use the heavy duty servo extension wires and cut them to length from where you placed your receiver and servos to the power board and solder them into the board... that way they lay in nicely, and can be dressed in tidy.

Right now I'm using a 5 cub "C" cell 3000 mAh NiMh pack for the servo buss... but I'm going to swap that out for another 2500mAh 2S A123 pack... as it turns out, the 0.6 volt difference isn't going to hurt anything... and have found out that the surface charge on a NiMh battery pack takes longer to normalize than the surface charge of the A123 batteries, so in actual fact the 5 cell 6 volt NiMh batteries are harder on 6 volt rated devices, than the 6.6 volt A123 batteries are... so out goes the two 3000 mAh NiMh packs (servo buss & ignition) and in goes two more 2S A123 packs.

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
Question: How do you know if a servo is rated for 4.8V or 6.0V ??? Just because they show the Torque for 6v input for a particular Servo does not mean it is rated for 6v use...So how do we know? I find that very misleading.

They wouldn't state the speed and torque values for 6 volts, if the servos were not designed to handle 6 volts.

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Servos that show a 6V rating are rated for 6V

Look up tail rotor servos like the 9253 and 9254, both are damaged by excessive heat caused by the high frame rate from a gyro combined with higher than a 4 cell pack, you'll see they only rate the torque and speed for 4.8v
+1

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-30-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarification