RCU Forums - View Single Post - Voltage drop and the dreaded "Brownout" , What's really at fault ?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
That's just a general disclaimer so no one will blame the author of the video if the individual screws something up... typical disclaimer legalities.

I use silver solder, and use the acid flux on a Q-tip, the silver solder flows better than the rosin core 60/40 solder does... when I say silver solder, I mean the low temp solder... I clean the cell ends well with some mild soap and water afterwards to get any flux residue off.

Now, I have not yet tried soldering the next gen ANR26650M1-B A123 cells... but Harris makes an aluminum solder and flux paste that works on aluminum as well as regular 60/40 solder does on brass... but my understanding is the next gen A123 cell metal casings have a coating on the aluminum, and the special solder and flux is not needed... I've solder several of the ANR26650M1A cells using the 60/40 or the silver solder with no problems... in my opinion the silver solder flows much nicer with the same heat, or less applied.

I will also add this... the solder tabs are induction spot welded to the cell ends after the cells are manufactured... when you solder on your own tabs, and you do it quickly as you see in the videos, I personally don't think any more heat goes into the cells than when you induction spot weld the solder tabs on... and don't forget, the MFG'er (A123) solders the end button caps over the fill / vent after the cell is manufactured.... but having said that, if you don't know how to solder well, then you could put too much heat, but with my experience, they solder extremely well.

John M,
Acid flux is not a good idea for any electrical soldering. The acid will creep up the wire under the insulation and cause corrosion of the wire.
Scoring the end of the cell with any kind of abrasive will remove the coating and make it very hard to solder to. They have always had a coating.
You cannot touch the end of the cell quick enough to transfer heat as small as spot welding.