RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA partnering with industry to present Las Vegas Drone conference. Tickets only $540
Old 10-04-2015, 06:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Normally the conference is $675 for "civilians" but with the AMA discount it is only $540 bucks!

I guess that discount is from the AMA "partnering with aviation industry organizations".

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
One step closer to the American Multirotor Association

All this does is further blur the lines between what AMA was, and what it is becoming.

The speaker list for this year's Expo is not up yet. But here is last year's list:

http://amaexpo.com/speaker-series/2015-speakers/

Six of the eight speakers had little, or nothing, to do with what most AMA members fly and do. And one (TFR talk) only partially touches members since clubs that are affected by a TFR mostly know it and close down. The TFR talk is really directed at the multitude of new drone pilots who feel they can fly anywhere they want to any time they want and however they feel like.

Botom line is I simply do not feel AMA represent me and the majority of members like me now. I talk to lots of people, and with very few exceptions the guys I talk to wish AMA would do more to distance our hobby from the drones, rather doing more to embrace them.

I guess we're just a bunch of FOGs!!
Ironic I guess that some folks were really ticked at having the AMA dues raised a nominal amount (IMO) after 13 years, and now there seems to be a complaint that a $135.00 discount somehow isn't sufficient? I dunno...$135.00 discount is pretty darn good from where I come from. Then again, I wouldn't pay $25.00 to attend this, but it looks to be a significant conference with all the heavy hitters in attendance. It certainly differs from the AMA Expo you referenced, the goals and objectives appear different, as would be expected, this one is more industry (big business) focused. Rather than say they are not representing me, I'd proffer that they were prescient enough to realize how significant this issue was going to be and how it would affect us, and decided it was better to be part of the solution, rather than address the issues after the fact, from "outside", again, imo.

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Exactly.

Care must be taken though, or the Pro FPVers might label us "Haters, Truthers, Tin Foil Hatters, Chicken Littles", etc. for not "embracing the diversity" that FPV has to offer....lol.
Actually, FPV is just one of the used of UAV's, just as airplanes can be used for multiple purposes. pretty sure they were the first platforms for FPV too. There is diversity within many of the flights systems embraced by the AMA.

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And I would once again remind them that I am not passing any judgment on them or their hobby. But it is not MY hobby and I do not want the AMA wasting time with them while neglecting the rest of us. But it seems like they have found a hot new chick to mess around with so the tired old wife is going to be shuttled aside.
I think the hobby is different things to different people. I guess I'll disagree that they are neglecting the rest of "us" in any way, in what ways would you say that is happening? I see them doing everything they used to do, and now more.

Lets not forget that all of the flight systems might/could get grouped into one and have significant impact on our hobby. I don't see this as all about "drones" or "fpv", rather the hobby as a whole. I think they are advocating for all of us, and the hobby. I've said before, helis weren't always part of this hobby, and the AMA embraced them, I'm sure at that time there was some discord on that decision as well.