RCU Forums - View Single Post - Voltage drop and the dreaded "Brownout" , What's really at fault ?
Old 10-05-2015, 04:25 AM
rcyoucando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some info on the monitoring of A123 cells How do you know when a A123 pack or a lifepo4 pack (soft pack) is starting to show sine's of weakness and should be replaced?
I have been using NiCad and Nickel Metal for 40 plus years and have grown old with them. I check the batteries constantly and can see the drop in voltage to give me a clue that they need to be charged or are getting weak and should be replaced. I have had times a fairly new NiCad or NiMh pack are weak, The A123 and Lifep04 packs maintain there voltage and current and have a very short time when the battery fails to deliver the required current. I have used Lipo batteries for quite a few years. but it's been in small electrics. And have had a battery go from good to bad. I know about not letting the battery discharge to far and not to exceed the current draw of the battery and to store them properly. But A123's are new to me for using in my flight packs.

I have a Hyperion battery checker. But am new to using it for this style of battery.

When storing A123 packs should they be drawn down for storage? The reason I ask is they were used in power tools and I know they were not always maintained.