RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Kadet MkII build
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 08:45 AM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, time for the next update:

So at this stage I'm getting pretty happy things are coming along so well...looks like taking my time and being comfortable with what I'm doing is paying off. Next up is preparing the wing tips, and gluing in the ribs. I didn't yet have my builder's squares I ordered from Tower Hobbies, so to align the ribs vertically I just used one of the balsa blocks in the kit...turned out quite well, but not 100% square. Not such a big deal but it would slightly impact the preparation of the shear webs. One great thing about reaching this stage is that the addition of the ribs and top spar gave the wing panel much greater rigidity (it just feels so much better in your hands).

I have to say that the thought of trimming the ends of the wing tips to a bevel filled me with anxiety at first, but when I actually got cutting it was very easy! With that and fine tuning the bevel using my sanding bar, it was much less of a hassle than I thought it would be.

The angle gauge for the tip was really handy for scribing then cutting the trailing edge and top spar to the correct angle to fit to the wing tip.

So here are the photos of the wing tips, and the tips and the ribs being glued in place, along with the top spar. (I forgot to take a photo of setting the angle of the tip so I'll post that when I get around to the left panel)...slow and steady!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.JPG
Views:	2823
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2125468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.JPG
Views:	2955
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2125469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.JPG
Views:	2832
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2125470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.JPG
Views:	2881
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2125471  

Last edited by KenChoo; 10-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.