RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aeronca C3 ('Flying Bathtub')
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2003, 07:19 PM
The PIPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And I've got the NASM book on the C-2...

Dear GoldenAge:

The PIPE Here once more-and I've even got the Smithsonian book on THEIR Aeronca C-2, which was the VERY FIRST ONE produced... it's entry there on the Web is at http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...ft/aeronca.htm !

Before I had my very first PC to practice CAD at home (to keep in practice for the day I actually started WORKING as a CAD operator) with in late 1992, I even started up a set of hand drafted Giant Scale (1/4th size) drawings to actually build one, based on a set of Paul Matt drawings of the C-2 I photocopied in the NASM Library in downtown DC when I last visited there twenty years ago...the WING panel drawing got rather "finished", but not very much more was ever done with it...and I still have everything that I got done on it! GOTTA get that one transferred to DesignCAD before too long!

That VERY EARLY one, with the aluminum disc covered WIRE wheels, right up against the fuselage, a la the Lazy Bee, would be a REAL HOOT to fly as an RC Giant on Saito FA-90T power (either the real old version OR the more modern one) for "smallish" Giant Scale fun!

Even OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME has a flying Aeronca C-3 in their collection, shown at http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/aircraft/aeronca.htm (one of the last versions produced of it)...and I'm sure an RC Giant version of the earlier C-2 would look GREAT there during the annual RC Jamboree as well!

At least its "Cub yellow" and orange color scheme couldn't be easily ignored...and doing the multicolored 'Aeronca Wings' decal on the fin, with one of those Epson Stylus Photo printers on white decal paper (the original decal DOES have a white background, with an "Antique Olive" lettering font for all the lettering, I think)...now THAT would be impressive, with a Saito 90 twin in its nose!

Got to consider diggin' that OLD set of my own C-2 plans out for CAD transfer before too long!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!