RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Kadet MkII build
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 07:22 AM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks for keeping me company on this build! Well, here are more pictures, to finish up the right wing panel. Starting with installing the leading and trailing edges, through to the sheeting and top capstrips, then a view of the mostly-finished panel (leading edge shaped and entire panel sanded with 120 grit - I'll fine sand more after I get the left panel to this stage).

Something I learned as I did the leading edge sheet - even though the sheet wasn't difficult to get around the curve of the ribs, when I pinned it down (and I used lot's of pins - I'm learning that pins are your friends!) I really had to make sure I got my pins all the way in to keep the sheet in tight contact with the structure below. It kept wanting to pull up. So I decided for the left panel I'd moisten the top of the sheet a bit to help it bend easier and boy was that a good decision. It was much easier on the left side in that I didn't feel I had to fight to keep the sheeting down. It wasn't much water either, just 3 or 4 swipes with a damp cloth and the balsa only felt a little damp not really wet.

Speaking of the left wing panel, I built that much quicker than the right one and didn't like what that did for my build quality. I felt more rushed (my own fault) and made some little silly mistakes - none I couldn't rectify easily, but this is one of the bigger challenges for me - curbing my own impatience. It's quite important for me as a novice builder...let's hope I have the discipline to slow down from here...

P.S. I'm quite disappointed with how grainy some of my pictures turned out - it's the poor lighting in the study I'm working in, I think. Anyway, hopefully the ones with the proper camera will turn out much better. And you'll notice in one picture an interesting collection of old comics - guess what use they've been put to? (Lightweight weights!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.JPG
Views:	2789
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2126468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG
Views:	2747
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2126469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.JPG
Views:	2792
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2126470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.JPG
Views:	2767
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2126471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	2830
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	2126472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG
Views:	2802
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2126473  

Last edited by KenChoo; 10-20-2015 at 07:38 AM.