RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aeronca C3 ('Flying Bathtub')
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2003, 08:29 PM
GoldenAge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: And I've got the NASM book on the C-2...

Hello PIPE,

That VERY EARLY one, with the aluminum disc covered WIRE wheels, right up against the fuselage, a la the Lazy Bee, would be a REAL HOOT to fly as an RC Giant on Saito FA-90T power (either the real old version OR the more modern one) for "smallish" Giant Scale fun!
That sounds like the C2 Scout, I think that's what it was called. I actually thought about buying the Saito .60 Twin to put in my plane, but it only has a 6 oz. fuel tank in it and the engine price is a little steep too[:@]

Even OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME has a flying Aeronca C-3 in their collection, shown at http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/aircraft/aeronca.htm (one of the last versions produced of it)...and I'm sure an RC Giant version of the earlier C-2 would look GREAT there during the annual RC Jamboree as well!
It seems as though there were a number of changes made to the fuselage of the C3 over the 6 years or so that it was made. Mine must be one of the early versions and it is called the 'Collegiate'. The plane in the Rhinebeck image has the rounded 'turtleback' fuselage. Mine is called a 'razorback' with the single spar from the wing TE to the Rudder.

I hope you build the 1/4 scale job! Love to see pics of it one day.

Take care,

Scott

Here's an image of the very simple instrument panel in my plane