RCU Forums - View Single Post - New big Ripmax Xcalibur (Xcalibur+)
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 PM
GManning35
My Feedback: (66)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently put one of these Xcalibur + jets together and put the first few flights on it. I was pleasantly surprised and found the plane a real pleasure to fly. I’ve flown just about every twin boom model jet on the market and didn’t really think there would be much difference but there really is. I like this much better than even the small Xcalibur however it also does quite well. The wing loading is really light and the suggested control throws are not bad at all. Although I feel the plane needs some differential aileron and will post my final results after my next set of flights. At this point I also felt the throw for the ailerons was less than I would like especially at slow speeds however I do tend to like more throw on Rudder and ailerons than most. I find that if I have more and just a bit more Expo the planes controls are always enough you just have to keep in mind that at high speed they can get snappy at full throw.
I decided to put a smoke system and lights just to make the plane a bit more interesting and am happy I did. Using just straight pump diesel I get a really nice trail that on the right day has enough hang time to make a smiley face if you choose too. Face it that Super Dry is really great and nothing beats it but I’ll save that for the faster planes.
This plane came out at 31.9 LBS and I have no lead added. I also find stock GC’s to be too far forward and on this plane I’m at 215mm back instead of the suggested 195mm. This plane is so stable I think you could move it forward or back 3” and it would still fly well.
To make it simple for those who would just like to see a list of the set up here it is.

Weight 31.9 LBS
GG 215mm
Elevator throw 27mm up and down
Rudder throw 70mm each way
Flap throw is 50mm at take off with about 3mm of down trim in the elevator and 130mm for landing with 5mm of down trim in the elevator
Aileron first flights were at 20mm each way but needed differential. Next flights will be at 33mm in the up direction with 23mm in the down direction.

Most likely I will also be putting In up aileron for landing mixed to the flap but will post that latter. The reason is this plane although it is really easy to land it floats a bit due to how light the wing loading is. I really think crow will make it even easier.
Bottom line is this plane flies so well and so easily I really don’t think anybody should feel apprehensive. Just relax and have fun.

One last thing for now, I found that the canopy gets a bit soft in the sun and heat of the day so I decided to put some Carbon fiber reinforcment to help it hold it's shape making it easier to put on since it retains the shape better.

George Manning Jr
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151023_153946.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	2127268   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151023_153958.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	2127269   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151023_154007.jpg
Views:	311