RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Life's to short to fret. I'm not really for anyone having to prove they belong to the AMA to buy anything, I suspect there might be just as many fliers out there not part of the AMA. I could hear the complaints now from the people who already can't find anything positive to say about the AMA...lookit this blatant money grab, etc etc etc. I do think it's a great idea for them to have their AMA number on the craft though, if they do belong. It's odd what we require people to do in order to own or even purchase some things. The town over from me requires a scanned ID to purchase BB's....yes...tiny little BBs. But I can go in and buy any type of large knife, or even a "drone" without anyone batting an eye.
If they can prove they belong to the AMA that would be some assurance's they have had exposure to an established safety program. Once again that is no guarantee of a safe operator but neither is a driver's test a guarantee of a safe driver, and if they are forced to join then they would be made aware of a safety program. As for those that don't wish to see AMA get any more money, I would rather see it go there than to another Government Agency. An AMA membership and number issuance would also be a reasonably seamless requirement to put in place, no more than a stroke of the pen and it would not impact the rest of us traditional modelers. I know I'm thinking wishfully, we have a Government Agency involved and whatever they decide we can all rest assured that it will be illogical, make no sense and be a revenue generating act for that Agency and do absolutely nothing towards mitigating the problem while burdening the law abiding citizen with overly restrictive regulations, maybe forcing us to scan our new Sig Kadet purchase right along with our BB's or worse.