RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If the aircraft is not registered, how would they know who owned it? This program is a total waste of time and taxpayer monies.

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Did you submit your comments? 180k AMA members and only 1,638 comments submitted on-line thus far. What are you doing to rally the troops?

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
Today I was at the LHS and asked the counter guy and the owner if they had commented about the situation to the FAA. The counter guy didn't think it was that important and the Owner just ignored my question all together.

Here's my post:
Your Comment Tracking Number: 1jz-8m13-4h9e

For 80 years the AMA and others have been flying Models, sUAS in a responsible and save manor. There have been very few if any conflicts between Full Scale and models. Our record speaks for it's self. The advent of the Quad Copter (Drone) has changed the face of modeling flying. But the Quad it's self (Like Guns) are not the problem. The Individual that refuses to follow the concept of "Know before U fly" and does not comply with the AMA safety code or the present FAR's, Is the Problem. Gun Registration has done nothing to deter gun crime and neither will the cumbersome and expensive Registration of sUAS. People thet disregard the Rules Laws, & FAR's probably will refuse to register their craft. If Registration is required at Point of sale, Just like guns not registered, there ways to get around the Registration by changing out the component that has the Serial number. As for any ID i.e. "N" number they'll just omit it or change it.
Requiring everyone to register their Model Toy airplanes, no mater how small or large is ludicrous. It's not going to solve any problem because in 80 years of model flying There hasn't been any problems. Most R/C model flying of other than very small craft are flown at some kind of organized flying field. If any thing has to be registered it should require registration only when flown at any place other than a certified Model Fling sight. Even if it' a model that is used on a regular flying site most of the time i.e. a model that is flown for demonstration at a school or let say a lake pond as a Amphibian or float plane.
As for a 400' max altitude AGL, is in conflict with with FAR 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes (b) Where it prohibits flying
(over any open air assembly of persons,) I spoke with a person at the PHX FSDO and asked what the FAA considered an
open air assembly of persons. He conferred with some one else and said "It could be a crowd of 33,000+ at a sporting event or as few as 2 people on a blanket having a picnic." That being the FSDO's interpretation of over any open air assembly of persons, and a model flying field is usually occupied by more than a single individual, it is against FAR 91.119 (b) shich states in part no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes: or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Been flying at a uncontrolled Private Restricted airport fo over 35 years with absolutely no accidents or incidents with Full Scale Aircraft. Another comment is that with in 5mile radius of an air port Full Scale planes should be at pattern Altitude or more. Exception when actually landing and take off or on a Special clearance.

In summery it is my firm belief that the Registration of Toy Airplanes flown at Designated model Sites is a waste of time and effort. The reason is the history of Safety we have demonstrated for the past 80 years.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.
[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

AMA 382605 EAA 73367 Private Pilots License 2184095