RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Kadet MkII build
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks to the suggestions on this thread over the weekend I felt better about continuing the build. I went with Dave's (Skylark Flier) suggestion and just sanded down first the aileron with the bow, then the other one to match it. It looked pretty bad on the board, but in terms of actual measurement it was 1/16" so I suppose it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

Since we're all talking hinging tools at the moment, I included a pic of the one I bought for this build - worked amazingly well (i.e. made a super easy job of cutting the hinge slot) on the wing, and not at all well on the really hard balsa of the aileron stock. :-) Believe it or not the wood actually bent the tines (?) of the blades outwards so I had to use a set of pliers to gently tweak them back. Anyhow, job done (with the assistance of a Dremel cut-off wheel) and now I've got to cut the tips of the ailerons to match the curve of the wing.

I have to add, I started to sand the bevel on the ailerons, but then decided I would try and save my lungs (seems like in addition to CA, I'm getting sensitive to balsa dust) and carve as much of the bevel as I could first then finish sand it. That was the way to go! I gotta say again, carving is fun (but I may change my mind when I get to the fuse/windshield).

This particular stage of the build has me thinking that there are some things ARF's don't get credit for...for all their faults, we usually don't have to put up with bowed or warped ailerons. Still, this was a good learning step for me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.JPG
Views:	2352
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	2128827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG
Views:	2316
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2128828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG
Views:	2255
Size:	2.75 MB