RCU Forums - View Single Post - FSA Clubhouse
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 04:03 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advisory circular (AC) refers to a type of publication offered by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to provide guidance for compliance with airworthiness regulations. They define acceptable means, but not the only means, of accomplishing or showing compliance with airworthiness regulations.[SUP][1][/SUP] Generally informative in nature, Advisory Circulars are neither binding nor regulatory; yet some have the effect of de facto standards or regulations.[SUP][2][/SUP]

So this definition clears up nothing usually ACs do not regulate. Why the FAA choose this distribution method is questionable.... I do not find a notice of proposed rulemaking, nor the expected comment period. This issue is being worked by the AMA regulatory affairs officer Rich Hansen. It would probably be better to take the discussion off-line.

Originally Posted by thunder21
I just sent an email to the official mentioned in AC 91-57A, not that I'm expecting a response. I really can't imagine what the FAA was thinking in dumping this unexpected rule on the RC community, except to say they probably weren't thinking at all. The AMA is supposedly doing something about it, but does anyone know if Free State Aeromodelers has sent any official communication to the AMA about this advisory?