RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club Mills!
Thread: Club Mills!
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ivor was still selling these Russian ones as 'Doonside Mills' in the 90s-just not as 'original Doonside' ones. Any one that comes with the hand written note (in his trademark aqua green ink) is a 'genuine' Ivor F certified Doonside Mills. In other words it was one of the batch he contracted the Russians to make for him-AND which passed his stringent quality control checks-[most did not-but were still onsold by the Russian to whomever would take them (I understand the initial production batch was something of the order of 1000-of which Ivor checked each one and was happy with only a few hundred or so. [my own example bears the serial #690-but is otherwise as GL Biggles one above-complete with hand written note!]. I also understand that subsequently the Russians manufactured more-in ferrous P/L technology which were onsold through various channels. In any case the Russian made Mills 75s are readily distinguished from all the other versions by their thicker cylinder fins-with straight edges not rounded off-and most importantly-the splined on prop driver and 3mm replaceable prop shaft stud-the latter provides an obvious and unequivocal identification.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'