RCU Forums - View Single Post - WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 07:57 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
I disagree that there isn't much we can do right now to stop the Gov. intervention. The AMA is, and should be our voice where this potential legislation is concerned. Yes, they have been involved (as they should be, it is their most important function as far as I am concerned), but I believe they should have distanced "us" from the drones. Drones are a new (and distinctly different) hobby that faces different and unique (as witnessed by the recent public and Government outcry and concern like never before in our 80 year history) challenges that clearly calls for their OWN advocacy group.

Historically, the AMA has done a bang-up job at serving the modelers' needs. It is painfully clear that they are NOT the proper organization to advocate for drones, nor do I believe it is too late for the AMA to take a step back and let the FAA or whomever, take on that role. Let the AMA continue to be an exemplary CBO for the hobby it has proven to be able to understand and regulate. As always, it is important that each AMA member voice his/her opinion both to AMA leadership as well as the FAA, the regulatory task force, AND at a local club level to let all of our club members be aware what is happening and how they can participate. Beyond that, it is up to each individual to do their part. Member participation at any level in the past has been sadly lethargic in my opinion and the only way to change that is to spread awareness and urge for members to AT LEAST have, and voice, an opinion!

Regards,

Astro
What's so different about (MR's Quads/Drones). They Fly, they Use Radio control, They have an auto pilot stabilization system so do many of the newer trainers that are supposed to make Self Taught Pilots a possibility. The only real difference between Quads and fixed wing is they are able to be launched and recovered just about anywhere. Here in is the problem, these people, for the most part, Don't know or don't care, or even realize there is a safety issue about when and where they fly. If they were a part of the AMA CBO And Flew at designated flying fields there would not be the problems we have today. Anyone under 19 can belong to the AMA for "FREE". Most clubs have a junior membership that is usually at a much reduced dues structure.

There are two reasons why these people don't care about joining the AMA or flying at a club is because the majority of AMA members are "Grouchy Old Farts" that grumble a lot & really don't want children of younger adults around. Heck there a few that don't even want women at the field. They might have to watch their language or the topics they choose to talk about to their fellow Old Codgers. The other reason is they have to follow rules and be in a structured environment and follow rules. Very few younger people like structure where their "FUN" is concerned. Want proof just ask how many people in your club are under 19 and how many have taken an interest in R/C but then mysteriously disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Besides what the DOT/FAA is about to require "Registration" is not going to work for a meriod of reasons, Many already discussed at length here and other forums. What would make a difference is that the government makes flying Quads anywhere but designated Quad Flying areas and requiring all Quads to have GEO Fencing. This must be accompanied with Strict enforcement and heavy fines and possible Imprisonment.

There are far more frequent & dangerous Laser attacks on airplane cockpits than Drone sightings by a factor of 10. U don't hear aren't any cries to register Laser pointers, at least not yet. This won't change any of us Old codgers minds (way to opinionated to embrace any change) but then Gezzers don't like change for the sake of change.. It was always been good enough the way it is. So let's keep it that way.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-15-2015 at 08:01 AM.