RCU Forums - View Single Post - WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 09:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fliers1
http://www.rc-float-flying.rchomepag...instructor.htm

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/10_01/leader.htm

For the most part, considering what is written in those two articles, there is really not much anyone can or will do to change things.
Really GRATE Post Thanks.
Just a short story I'm 72 and Instruct at the Club in AZ. A gentleman came to me at home ( he saw my planes). He has this plane he bought 20 years ago that was about 20 years old then, and wondered if it would/could fly. It seemed sound so I started to disect it OLD Radio Hobby Shack 72 Mhz w/ no Transmitter. Thought I could at least use the servos. Nope so I came up with 4 well used servos out of my stash. Installed them. Recovered some of the missing covering and patched a couple of holes. OH added a Batt and 6 Channel Receiver. after 3 days of fixing it's Ready for flight. I took to field for a test flight (Maiden). Had one of the really good flyers fly it. He trimmed it out and landed it. Gassed it and I was ready to instruct this New 72 year old Student. After fixing the trim problems. Got it in the air. U know The expression Bert Simpson says when things don't go right."Crappity, CRAP, CRAP, CRAP". I manage Got it down in one piece. Well it was so docile but not tail heavy luckily, So so there are more things to do Increase the throes. Change the push rods too sloppy (NYrod crap). Well now I had 4 days in it. Back to the field and have another great flyer test (Maiden) it again. Goes pretty well. So it trimmed So I let my buddy take this 72 year old student on the buddy box for his first time. He'the student has got thousands of hours in Full Scale, See the Problem here. Anyway the plane heads for the desert floor several times and my buddy recovers it but just barley.. The right wing is severely warped and the elevator push rod is too sloppy Change it out and come back the next day. So I get it off the ground , get it trimmed for hands off. Fly it around to get familiar with it. 3 times around the pattern and I fee save. So I set it up straight and level and say "It's Your plane well in 5 seconds he's in trouble I take it and bring it around give it to him again 8 seconds this time. so I take it around again and getting ready to hand it off and the thing becomes a LAWN DART. Post inspection the 40 year old glue on the elevator hinges gave out and they pulled out. The look on his face as we picked up the Pieces to say the least was not "PRICELESS".

Luckily someone had donated a really old trainer to the club and the X president gave it to us. Another 4 days and it's ready for a Maiden New servos, New Push rods. A heavy 2.5 oz Hub and 1.5 oz of led under the engine and it balances at just a little less than 1/3 of the cord. Pinned the Hinges, added 2 servos in the wing and got the carb freed up and it runs. Hope it Flies too. Maybe after the bad weather passes later this week.
Well maybe it wasn't that short but OH Well.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-15-2015 at 09:45 AM.