RCU Forums - View Single Post - WAKE UP AMA. Another field closed!!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 10:01 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
The difference between DRONES (DRONES are not necessarily MR's. They can be fixed-wing as well) is exactly what you said, "The only real difference between <snip> is they are able to be launched and recovered just about anywhere. Here in is the problem, these people, for the most part, Don't know or don't care, or even realize there is a safety issue about when and where they fly."

I don't agree that the simple fix is to make them join the AMA and then they will "magically" be aware of and follow the rules.

DRONES are a completely different hobby from traditional modeling (has been discussed/debated at length in other threads) in that it is NOT about the building and flying of model aircraft, it is about the technological capabilities (auto-pilot, camera, GPS, video, etc.). Due to this, they are operated in different environs and under different conditions than our 'traditional' model aircraft. This can be clearly evidenced by all the negative press they have received in the past couple of years. The general public has no problem with 'traditional' model aviation as evidenced by our almost 80 years of stellar relationships and almost zero issues.

Astro
Half the planes flying today are not built by the pilot the great majority are the way they come out of the box. and the so called trainers all have all the auto pilots and stabilization and that will be traditional model aviation soon if not already.

As for Negative press that can be changed by the FAA saying that all Quads have GEO Fencing.That will keep them from operating where they shouldn't be flown. I expect that all receivers will have it built in if the FAA has it way after Registration doesn not work. Remember hoe the OLD single conversion receivers were out lawed by the FCC. Well the Government can mandate GEO Fending for all Models/Drones.