RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 11-15-2015, 02:44 PM
shaun the sheep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Hello Wullie and welcome. There's nothing wrong with Hobby King AFAIK. I've had a few transactions with them with our local USA stores, and so far they have come through.

As with any vendor, sometimes problems occur. I had a minor one, ordered from their USA store and a software glitch (guess their programmers were making software improvements ) caused billing to go through their China store not US and would not accept PayPal. I cancelled, now it would allow me to pay through PayPal. a couple dollar charge appeared on my PayPal for China bank charges. I contacted them through their customer services E-mail, and they remediated with a credit to my account. Now mind you, this would apply to a future order, but combined with credits, my next order will be reduced $5, so for such small amount I felt this acceptable.

I've saved a lot of money through them, and their "Chinakote" covering is easy to work with and does a reasonable covering job, doesn't go slack and stay slack under the sun like some of the brand name coverings. At a fraction of the cost, bought extra colors so thus I am a happy camper at 5 meters versus 2 at less than half the cost.

Learning curve steep? Back in 1973, I crashed my single channel 27 inch (685 mm) Top Flite Schoolboy with Cox .020 Pee Wee and Ace Pulse Commander system many times. Then we didn't have simulators, and without throttle control, it was stay in the air until time to dead stick down. I learned how to moderate rudder to keep it in the air. (Use more rudder, drops nose, picks up speed, neutralize, hit rudder for S-turn and it slowed down and started climbing again.) To handle winds, shimmed the wing to reduce positive incidence so it wouldn't climb as fast. After the Schoolboy was beyond repair, I moved on to other rudder only aircraft with better results.
Hi GG. I wouldn't know how to begin to fly using only one channel, must have been interesting to say the least.
Nice to see someone else with something good to say about HK,--Wullie.