RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gas to glo plug.
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 10:36 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Gas to glo plug.

In about 1949 I install a glo plug in a Ohlson 23 and it ran great with no battery.I had been running with the points and spark coil and dry cells,which did not last long.I said I would never put a spark plug in a model airplane engine again.
This was true until about 1980 Then I started playing with spark Ign and to make a long story short . This was the begenning of C&H Ignitions.I was told at a trade show by a popular writer that I would never sell on of those crazy things.
Well we didn't sell one we sold over 15000 of them.We sold to nearly all of the US engine builders ,at that time there was over a dozen of them.We also sold to several of early RPV builders .The Army,Navy and Boeing Co.I said then I would
never put another Glo Plug in a model engine and didn't until about three weeks ago.My good friend had been flying the OS 10&15 glo gas all season and he thought they were great no problems.Never burned out one glo plug.Well I still like to do R&D
Roar and Dink around my wife calls when I used to tell I was going flying to do some R&D.research and development on the CH ignition.I cannot believe I done this,me of all people.But my friend gave me a gas glo plug.And I had a 10MM to 1/4x32
adapter .I put it in a DL 30.Made bets around the field if it would run and how bad it would run if it did.To my total amazement it started right up and seem to run fine never touched the carb adjustment. It idled fine an throtel response was great no burble
or anything.So lets fly it ran beautiful ,I was dumbfounded . I let several other guys fly it and they tried to make it dead stick It just ran fine. Went to idle down on landing and still wouldnt; kill,had to run it off in to the grass.Flew it again last Sat to see if I was dreaming and it ran the same.Did have to use a starter on first start of the day after that it would hand start fine. It would start backwards if you cranked it to hard. I no this sounds backwards but I can explain it.
Tried the DL 20 on Gas Glo on Sunday . It did not run as good as the 30 and I could hear a slight detonation.I will lower the compression a little and have a couple of other tricks I will do.It ran good and idled good hand started after first start with a starter.
It turned exactly the same RPM as it did on spark 7650 on a Valley View 17x6 prop.I still like to do R&D . No I am not going to through all my Ignitions away. I still love the spark ignition.There are some fliers who just cannot run the Gas spark engines with the Walbro type carb.We have a couple of them at our field. I no you have seen them at your field.I set one flier up with two gas engines. I could have them running and flying great and by the next week end he had them so screwed uo they would't run or run terrible.He had trouble with about everything he done with RC.
Sorry about long post,but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.I am not recommending this but just thought I would tell my experience with it.Ran regular pump gas 40to 1 Stihl Ultra oil .DL 20 had Bowman ring. I no Frank Bowman real well and I can see why he hung it up. Fliers just bothered him to much with there engine problems. I won't get into that.CH Ignition has plug adapters . Tower does not have the gas glo plugs other fliers must be trying this.I hope I didn't open a bag of worms.
Thank You BCCHI Tired old CH guy. AMA 2500.I am a stick builder.