RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....
Old 11-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
(1) If they didn't want people to ask for money for projects, the program would not exist. Since the program is funded at least in part by dues, then yes indeed it is a members' right to ask.

Absolutely, nothing wrong with asking. It's also the responsibility of those requesting to understand the terms and conditions of the program as well the goal of the program.

(2) At the time, AMA was talking about establishing new fields. Our group came up with the hardest part of it, the land, but AMA wasn't interested in providing assistance because it would not have been open to every AMA member, yet they're well aware that already exists in AMA and they allow it.

I already addressed this, just yesterday in fact.

Why they drew a line in this case, we'll never know. Now, it's their right to say no, which they did, and in the end they not only didn't get a field free of encroachment, noise complaints, etc., they lost the field they had. Now, if that's acceptable to them, losing another field when they had the opportunity to get a great replacement, then so be it.

What if the AMA didn't have the grant program to being with? Why couldn't the club find another suitable site outside of a military base? Why couldn't the club be resourceful and hold a fundraising event? Doesn't anyone know how to bake cupcakes anymore?

People need to take responsibilities for their own actions. It's the club's fault they didn't find another site and there's no one else to blame.

(3) Yes, I spoke about their cash on hand, but that was in the context of an overall financial health discussion and, you'll note, it's a trend that post dates the request.

(4) And someone below indicated that if weather during the summer was an issue, the what about spring / fall. Fair question. Unfortunately, the transition seasons & winter brought strong, gusty and variable winds, and when it wasn't windy, dense fog. Not to say their couldn't be a day here and there to fly, but the prime flying weather (except for heat) is in Jun-Aug.

People fly all over the world, including countries North & South of the US.