RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stits Covered 1/4 Scale Cub
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
Well my inlaw spoke to one of the guys over at SolarFilm who make solartex, and he recommended using sig stix-it on all the wood surfaces where the covering comes in contact with the wood, so that would include rib caps, sheeting, spines, leading / trailing edges / perimeters, etc... after you do your finish sanding, use a tack cloth and remove all the sanding dust off the surfaces, then apply your stix-it... you'll need to thin it some and brush it on, or do what I do, which is to use a piece of cotton cloth and dip it into the thinned stix-it and then rub it onto the wood... keep the tin covered as the solvents will evaporate quickly, thin as needed.
Just a note. For any covering like Solartex or Stits Lite, when using an adhesive you only want to use it on the wood where your seam is, normally the leading/trailing edges of the flight surfaces or the corner longerons on the fuselage. You want the covering to slide over all the ribs/diagonals/sheeting/cross braces, etc when shrinking the fabric. It should only be secured with adhesive at the edges.

The one caveat to that is if there is a concave transition, in which case you usually need adhesive to keep the material from lifting off the concave surface when shrunk. For the cub, this would be at the transition of the fuselage to the vertical fin, although some people stitch the covering to the base of the fin and cover the stitches with pinked tape.

Last edited by RBACONS; 11-24-2015 at 05:23 PM.