RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stits Covered 1/4 Scale Cub
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Solartex is pretty hard to screw up. It goes on so easily that most procedures seem to work.

Like RBACONS, I add extra adhesive around the perimeters.

I don't believe everything Solarfilm says. For instance, they say that pre=colored Solartex requires no clear coating. Try it sometime. You'll end up with a dirty, impossible to clean, surface.

Their advice to sit the covered model in the sun, is spot on, however.

Tom, I put stix-it on the perimeters as well... its funny you should say that about the clear coat, as I asked about the clear coat, and they did say clear coating wasn't necessary, but the gain of the fabric has a tendency to pick up stains... they further stated to use some mild soap and water and lightly clean the surface with a soft brush... well after my experience with 21st century fabric and the staining, I went ahead and clear coated this solartex with a couple coats of klasskote simi-gloss clear epoxy... I actually covered the model in white solartex, then painted it cub yellow, then applied the clear on top of that... the grain of the fabric is barely visible if that now, so there's really no where for the dirt and stains to accumulate, plus that klasskote clear is extremely resistant to oil and gasoline / glow fuels... I don't plan on flying her as my weekend go to aircraft, I'll fly it on occasions... I may fly it more and more after the novelty and over two years of work fades into my distant memories, lol... it was one of my passions to build a extreme scale piper cub, and I would hate to loose it so soon after completion... I have a bad habit of drawing the short straw .

John M,