RCU Forums - View Single Post - .20 Something Diesels
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Chris W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlwb
I have just been running my Drone engines using Davis Diesel development diesel fuel. I add a little extra castor oil to the mix though. They run Ok like that. I don't think that there is all that much difference between the suggested Drone fuel and the normal commercial diesel fuels we have today.
http://modelenginenews.org/ad/drone.html

"The first point to bear in mind is that a conventional diesel fuel with kerosene and ignition improver should not be used in these engines—quite apart from the starting difficulties which will be experienced, serious damage will result if this advice is ignored."

http://modelenginenews.org/faq/fc_diesel_ops.html

"However, we can turn some of the characteristics of ether to our advantage when looking at fixed-compression operation. One factor in model diesel operation that often gives rise to a need for a reduction in compression during running is that of over-heating. Since we can't respond in this manner to any overheating issues with our fixed-compression diesel, we need to do everything that we can to prevent an overheating situation from arising in the first place. This means that the use of hot-burning fuels is definitely out—do not attempt to run a fixed-compression diesel on conventional modern diesel fuel!! If you do, damage will likely result.

To keep temperatures under control, fixed-compression diesels are generally run on a fuel consisting of straight ether and mineral oil, with no power-enhancing additives such as kerosene (which burns far hotter than ether) or ignition improvers such as amyl nitrate. Ether has a high latent heat of evaporation, and the fuel mixture with an ether-based fuel thus enters the working parts of the engine at a very low temperature and does much to promote cooling of those parts. And the relatively low calorific value of ether reduces the tendency for the engine to run hot, although it also reduces the power potential of the fuel. But the imperative is to prevent overheating, and fixed-compression diesels run very cool on an all-ether fuel, so there is little chance of the overheating problem occurring. "

I dunno Earl, perhaps the extra calorific value (and heat) of kerosene would over stress the engine?