RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 11-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well It was Maiden day!!!!!!

Temp low 70's with some cross wind for late November in Lower Alabama it doesn't get much better.

Checked all controls twice. Tuned the G62 with a Xoar 22x8 prop, getting 6900 rpms. Radio check with engine off and on. Taxi testing all good
Lined her up and advanced the throttle, I was expecting a pull to the left and was feeding in rt rudder but she didn't and came off the rudder. Rotated nicely and climbed out at 3/4 throttle. Took several clicks of down elevator and a few clicks of rt aileron. Very stable in the air. Holding straight and level from 3/2 throttle to full.

Then I raised the gear and she started to climb at between 30 an 45 deg !! This surprised me as my TF 60 Corsair did not have any pitch change raising gear. I lowered the gear and she flew fine again. Made some low passes and didn't try deploying flaps. Set up for landing had a good sink rate and touched down a little fast on the mains got a bounce added throttle to smooth her out and got her in safely. Checked all the connections, servos,etc after a maiden and everything looked good.

I balanced the plane inverted wheels retracted at 5 3/4 in and added 22oz to the firewall. This plane flew twice with no added ballast by the previous owner with no bad tendency's however he never raised the gear on either flight.

Question: Is this normal or suggestive a problem with CG. One of our club members thought it was due to the loss of drag by raising the gear especially the tailwheel. Did anyone have similar behavior. If it's normal I could add a mix for down elevator when raising the gear.

Thanks,
Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Corsair Maiden Day.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2132921   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Corsair.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	2132922