RCU Forums - View Single Post - New grayson hobbies megajet motor sounds like rocks in it, shuts down.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:14 PM
rekit500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New grayson hobbies megajet motor sounds like rocks in it, shuts down.

Grayson 50A ESC, 3 cell 2200 lipo, 6x5.5 APC that came with it. When I first ran it using a mid-charged battery, at half throttle it sounded like rocks in it, would get hot, and shut down. Spun by hand sounded fine, felt fine. Called them, and they said not to run w/o prop-never heard that before. (Isn't that the safe way to set one up?) Anyway did the same thing with prop. I then used a fresh fully charged battery and it seems ok at most throttle settings but when you go to 10-20% throttle for a minute or so and turn off it makes that sound again, shuts down and won't restart until you cycle the power to the esc. (disconnect the battery). I tried a different esc and it is better but I still hear it occasionally. At home, not flying it. I'm going to send it back, but anyone have some thoughts on what's going on, prop vs no prop running, is this usually a good motor/esc? I made a video I'll post soon. It sounds like a loud geiger counter when it does it. Grayson said without prop it would lose sync and short out-something like that. People I know and myself have always run them w/o prop for short time.