RCU Forums - View Single Post - Taranis service history
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Now that the Taranis has been on the market long enough to develop some history, what is the scoop on this radio? Is it really as good as it sounds? The reason I ask is that I see an inordinate number of them for sale in various classifieds. Why are people getting rid of so many virtually new radios or is that a false impression I have?
They have updated the Taranis several times, B models and then later the Taranis Plus, Many of the ones for sale are probably due to people updating.

They recently released a tray model and the next generation Horus is imminent.

I have seen this occur with other brands, e.g. People selling their DX8s to upgade to a DX9.

The early production units had a few quality issues with switches and gimbals but most of this was sorted by the B model. The Taranis Plus is even better and you don't hear of many problems with those.

I have a B model and a Plus and have been happy with them.

Having said that, it's not a radio for everyone. Open Tx is far more powerful than a conventional radio but does involve a learning curve.

Anyone who struggles with basic computer skills should probably avoid this radio. Some of those for sale are likely due to this also.

There is plenty of support online via YouTube videos and several active threads on RCG.

Aloft Hobbies is a known good supplier and Wayne (Rotozuk on RCG) is active in threads and by all accounts provides excellent support.

You can download a free TX simulator from openTX.org and this will give you an idea of how open TX works and what is needed to set up a model.

There is a steep learning curve but the end result is you have a radio with more flexibility than almost anything else on the market.

Don't expect it to feel like a JR9503 for quality. It's lighter and the gimbals are softer. I was a little disappointed by this on first impression but after flying with one for almost 18 months I now trust it as much as any of my Futaba or JR radios.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-01-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typos