RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Hey Donny! Did you realise that this thread is a year old today and look how many posts have been put up?

Funny Story for you:

Having crashed both the Acrowot Foam and the WOT 4 Foam-E earlier in the summer, I was left with two serviceable motors, batteries, speed controllers and a number of little servos. "I know," thinks I, "I'll build another version of the first r/c model I ever built, the St Leonard's Models "Gemini," which I built in the late 1980s." This was a 49" trainer to which I fitted an Irvine 21 glow engine. It looks a bit like a Cessna but with a parallel wing planform and it proved to be too fast for me but I'm not a novice anymore so I should be able to manage an electrified Gemini.

Now there's a man in England called Tim Calvert who runs a business called Model Markings.I thought that the model would look nice with "Gemini" in vinyl letters on the fueslage side and on one of the wings. I sent Tim an order for three vinyl signs. These were duly cut out and sent to me.

Having retired to rural France, I live in a village, Loudouiex St Pierre, LSP for short, which is the centre of a Commune.The Commune of Loudouiex St Pierre consists of 75 other villages or hamlets including the principal village itself. Being the principal village, LSP boast an infants' school and kindergarten, a church, a mairie, which is the local administrative centre supervised by the mayor, ("maire" in French) a public toilet, a cafe-bar which is for sale if you want to buy it, and ... and this is important, ... a post office. All of these are in or close to La Place De L'Eglise or The Church Square. So is my house. If you wanted to, you could easily throw a stone and hit the post office from my front gate. My house used to be a "presbytere," a house where the priest lived, but that is not its official address.

There is another village in the commune known as La Foret Du Temple 8 kms or 5 miles away. The Knights Templar had a monastery there years ago. In that village is another old presbytere; this house is known as L'Ancienne Presbytere! Guess what! The lady who lives there is also called Davis, so the French Post Office sent my packet to her, not that there was any reference to presbyteres on the label! The bizarre thing is that I had met this lady on a few occasions in the past but neither of us knew we shared the same surname! On 16th November she returned my packet to the post office in LSP! I found out that they'd sent the packet to the wrong address a week later. I made some enquiries at my local post office but the packet had disappeared! They don't make the same mistake with my electricity bills or speeding fines!

At about the same time I ordered over £200 ($300 US) worth of wood from SLEC in England but omitted to order four strips of 1/2" x 1/16" spruce, so I can't even finish the model now! Ah but that was my fault! Fortunately a clubmate is ordering some wood from a French source so I've added my bit to his order.

This is as far as I've got with the Gemini.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0062.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	2133566