RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Who said we hand them the information? We just don't bother submitting paperwork to the AMA using that program. Here's the scenario.
A individual walks in the store and asks about flying models. We discuss the the options. We talk about the local clubs were they can get flight instruction. Our club does not make anyone join the AMA or pay club dues until they come fly with us ( flights done with a instructor) to be sure the hobby is for them.
If the individual finds the hobby is next step is AMA ( there's a link on our club website) to do this. Then lastly Club Dues. Hitting a newbie with all that expense right off the bat will kill a prospective flyer at the point of sale. I'm sure every club is different but we are not by any means a normal club.

Now since the AMA does not have to issue our store a "kickback" we're saving the AMA (us) money.

Clear enough?
Mike
At least 4 of the 5 club to which I pay dues to (Weather I'm Active or not) uses the AMA Intro Pilot system. First I explain the costs AMA/ Club Dues, Expense of the Plane and support equipment and that it's not a cheep hobby/sport.If a person seems interested enough we will even supply the Plane Fuel,/Batteries, Radios (Buddy box) and an Instructor too for the 60 days of the Intro Pilot Program allows. We have a few people take us up on the offer and some end up joining the AMA/Club and continue flying. Others (Most) have other priorities or don't care for the hobby for one reason or another. There's always a few that show up with Little bitty planes someone got them for Xmas so January is a little busier I'd guess. Most of the people I've trained have at least for the first year joined and kept with it, Again like anything there any number that say OH that sounds great then U never see them again. Have U found out that most adults won't even try it when U offer to let them fly on a buddy box right now? I love to teach the youngsters. Especially the 4 to 7 year olds. I can reach around them and put my fingers over theirs and show them it's not an XBox and there is a finesse to it. A couple of years ago there was a 4 year old with grandma. I explained the radio and showed him by holding the sticks over his fingers' Well this youngster was a Natural in just 3 times around the pattern he almost mastered it. After going through 2 or 3 loops he actually could do it by him self Rolls too. Man I hope he was able to keep it up when he went home. Greatest feeling in the world. Now it's a lot more frustration to teach any of us O'l Geezers.