RCU Forums - View Single Post - Radio Shack Tsauro-X.
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 12:18 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
If I wanted to build a car, would I be able to build something that looked like a Dodge Viper GTS, blue or black with white racing stripes?
There are all kinds of body styles available. Of course, you have to pay attention to what scale, and in some cases, width (some are 190mm some are 200mm)(like, 10mm makes a difference?) They all come in clear lexan. And there are special paints used just for painting polycarbonate/lexan bodies, mainly, Tamiya paints. Look at YouTube for "how to paint an RC body". They are painted on the inside, so crashes and rollovers don't scuff off the paint. Bodies cost anywhere from $30 - $80, usually about $40.

I don't know if this is an appropriate site, but it seems that something may be possible?

http://www.rc-tradingpost.com/7473-rrgpstreet.html

And just asking in general, let's say I came up with a parts list. How would I know how exactly to build my hobby grade car? Everyone's setup might be a little different.
You probably wouldn't know how, unless you've had experience fabricating stuff from scratch. There ARE guys who do it, but they've been in the hobby most of their lives, and back when you HAD to fabricate your own stuff, cuz they didn't MAKE most of the stuff they have today. That's why I suggest looking at an RTR (Ready To Run) vehicle from the hobby shop. RTR usually means the car is 100% complete with running gear and radio, sometimes including a battery, and sometimes a charger. (Usually a wall-wart type charger that takes half a day to charge a 3000mah NiMh pack. In other words, useless junk.) But, you'd have a modern car and radio set, spare parts, and modern batteries.

Have you read thru this thread? Very helpful:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ead-first.html

I guess this is where going to a hobby store would help, and I could ask these questions.

I would appreciate any help I can get online, as a starting point.

How much would a cost range be, to build a starting caliber hobby grade Viper GTS?

I also see now there's places you can go that have RC car tracks, and you can race them there.

http://www.insidelineracing.com/racing/

This makes it better now, to invest / have fun with a hobby grade car, and then be able to race it on a nice track.

Thanks again for all the help answering questions. And I know I have a lot of them right now.

Perfectly alright, ask away. 'S why we're here. Doing online research is the best way to educate yourself (providing you find reliable sources). but it can also be a little daunting when you realize how much you don't know. Just soak up as much as you can, and don't rush into anything until you're comfortable.

How much would it cost to build a streetable Viper? Depends on where you start, that is, what platform you select. The body will cost the same no matter what, figure $40 for the bod. A popular chassis for on-road / track racing is the Tamiya TT-02. A chassis kit is available at Tower Hobbies for $164. That puts you right around $200. Just do me a favor if you get a Tamiya (or any other car that uses Tamiya-style Molex battery connectors). CUT THEM OFF, and replace them with Traxxas connectors. Those Molex connectors SUCK, and they cannot stand up to the power of Brushless motors and LiPo batteries (when you get there, and you will.)

I see now what you mean about the two kinds of batteries in the Tsauro. The AAs were probably powering the receiver, and the NiMh pack provided motor power. These days, the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) has a built in power circuit that provides power to the receiver AND the steering servo. So you don't need the extra batteries, and their weight.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 12-08-2015 at 12:41 PM.