RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gas to glo plug.
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had any problems with rust nor bearing failures, but then I use an after run procedure. In order to clear the nitro and methanol out of the engine and carb, I run the engine with an after run fuel that is Coleman Camp Fuel with 20:1 Pennzoil and a dash of Sta-Bil. You have to keep the glow plug heat on to run it, but it removes the nitro and methanol from the engine, and gives it a stable, oily coating and solves any fuel system or engine rust issues. At the end of the run on the "Storage Fuel", I run the engine at full throttle, then choke it to kill it. Then I leave about a half tank of the storage fuel in the plane, and cap off the vent tube. Some people might think this is overkill or a hassle, but I have a lot of planes, and some of them sit for a year or more before I get around to flying them again. I like the extra insurance of having them well prepared for storage, and I also do it on my ignition engines.

I haven't run Avgas with the Gas/Glow mix, but it might not be a problem. Some of the engines, Ryobis being one of them detonated slightly unless you used Premium gasoline in the mix. The higher octane of the Avgas would be good for sensitive engines, but the lead in the Avgas might lead to more frequent glow plug problems. Only trying it would tell....

AV8TOR

Added note. Some people fly with Coleman Fuel and swear by it. This is only my two cents worth, but I would never fly any engine with Coleman Fuel, and only use it as an after run, storage fuel. It has only around 50 or 60 octane, and most all engine manufacturers spec at least 87 octane. My Gas/Glow engines run significantly hotter while I run them on the storage fuel made with Coleman Camp Fuel, and I don't recommend using it for any other purpose myself.

Last edited by av8tor1977; 12-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.