RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Drone" vs "Model Aircraft"
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 06:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I see your point, and that fits with the where and why criteria, and likely how as as well.......as in positioning the camera via FPV. Let me ask you this this - any reason in your mind why AP should not be assigned to the drone category? I tend to agree with Silent that it is a fine hobby in it's own right, but it is not aeromodeling. I don't mean that in a sense they would be banished to a lesser category than model airplane, just a different one. I am not anti drone, but I do think activities like AP require different operating standards, regulatory scrutiny, and advocacy than what you and I are accustomed to.
The way I see it, all it takes to meet the definition that what you are doing is NOT traditional RC is to meet ANY of the criteria that we are trying to define.
OTOH, in order to qualify as TRADITIONAL RC [not a drone] your air ship as well as your actions must meet ALL of the criteria for what is defined as Traditional RC.
I know a guy who is using a camera [that weighs only 10 grams and the size of a walnut] to record his inflight RPM and capture some video as he zooms around his airfield.
This is a clever use of a camera that enhances his enjoyment of Traditional RC [TRC].

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-10-2015 at 07:02 PM.