RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM
u2builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the control connections. I've built "dozens" of models, but most are 60-90 size. I had wondered about the Dubro 818's but couldn't really "see: them and it is good to see here you like them. I think the nylon with metal pin is better than the all metal types.

Jim, living in a more populated area, you clearly have much larger clubs, way better facilities, more events, and web pages! We only have about 20 people in our club, and about 8 people who actually show up on a regular basis, and our field is inaccessible in winter. But like you noticed, it is darn close to my house. We do have a nice 600 foot by probably 50' runway with decent approaches, a big field, and a parallel mountain (or hill) ridge for orientation, and of course there is not much competition for time at the flightline (half of the 8 people that show up are usually fiddling with helis under the tent (LOL)).

I have been going 2.4 on all my electrics on my Taranis radio to take advantage of the telemetry. The Taranis stuff is very inexpensive ($25 for RX, $2.5 for battery volt sensor, etc) but the radio uses Open X programming which has a steep learning curve. It probably is time to start going to 2.4 with new glow/gas models. I have Frsky TX modules that fit my Futaba 9C and also a JR 9303 (that I acquired with a Heli I am slowly trying to learn to fly) so maybe I will use one of those radios.

I checked your profile and think you have a nice assortment of planes. I too like bipes and actually have a Sig Hog Bipe, and have also built a Pica Waco which I have deemed "too nice to fly." . I also have a Great Planes Ultimate, an old Sterling Stearman, and a Pilot (old Japanese kit) Tiger Moth and a Super Skybolt, and a Stampe, all built from kits, all 60-90 size powered by Saitos. . Honestly, except for the Hog Bipe, I don't fly the others all that much since I spent so long building them but all except the Waco and Stearman have at least flown ! The Hog Bipe is my favorite because it was simple to build and flies very nicely. The only downside is it seems to be a bit squirrelly on takeoff. I've moved the landing gear a few times but just can't seem to solve that problem and might try a stabilizer.

Time to decorate the tree. Take care, Joe

Last edited by u2builder; 12-13-2015 at 02:33 PM.