RCU Forums - View Single Post - First tank choice
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 07:08 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksionc
Ok - i made a step in (I think) the right direction.

I will get the version with smoke and RX18, but without the metal parts for 110$, and buy T-81 tracks and gearbox from rctank - only if someone could tell me if the RX will not burn when I connect the upgraded gearbox

Edit: can anyone tell what this does, and is it needed? http://www.rctank.de/HQ-US-Pershing-...metal-sprocket
If you are going for a 4 shaft gearbox, this will be easier on your electronics. What fries electronics is the amp draw when the motors get into some heavy lifting. The four shaft box will allow more torque at the driving wheel. This means the electric motors do not have to work as hard, and you will have less chance of stalling the motors. Typically it is a stalled motor that draws heavy amperage and causes the electronics to fry. Fried electronics are not limited to the RX18,. Lesson here is to ensure your running gear is running free and unobstructed. Something jammed in the tracks, or if the tank is pulling one side of the other means you should stop and investigate. Giving her more throttle and jamming it into reverse and forward will not fix this problem, and most likely will cause you another one.

I think you are going down the right route for a first tank. Also I think it is a good idea to study the electronics in a tank. Understand what each motor does and how it is hooked up electrically. It is really basic stuff. Each motor needs a positive and a ground. So take some time and learn how and where this power is coming from and what triggers it. Whether it is an RX18 or and IBU 2 they all do the same basic thing in supplying power to the on board electric motors Fully understand the electrical /Mechanical stuff on this first tank and it will lead to an enhanced experience when you choose to upgrade. Electronics components are unforgiving. You are very lucky if you get a second chance. So hooking up color coded wires without really knowing where each color terminates is a false hope type of thing, and like I mentioned, hoping it is hooked up right does not work well with electrical components.

Heng Long tanks use a common positive. Ie the elevation motor and airsoft motor share the same positive, and then have individual grounds to activate them. When you are upgrading to new electronics you have to understand this basic, Typically it involves isolating and giving each motor its own positive and will require some wire to be run. A lot of people run into trouble around this

So enjoy your tank and realize that it will take some maintenance and understanding of the electrical and mechanical aspect of this hobby to truly enjoy yourself. Too many times people let the credit card get ahead of the required skill level, and when that happens the value of this hobby to them can become an internal debate.

I have always found this forum to be helpful and active enough to always get an answer within hours of posting. There are many sticky threads at the top that cover just about every single issue you may have, but if you find yourself needing help, there are many members who will offer you that.

So enjoy

Last edited by YHR; 12-15-2015 at 07:10 AM.