RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:13 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Sport's a good guy and I wouldn't want to see anyone test the theory . As Franklin pointed out with what happened to the shuttle , sometimes all it takes is something as seemingly innocent as a chunk of foam to cause disaster . The only reason that I mention my A&P training is not to brag or to try to pull some kind of rank as to who would know more about the mechanical aspects of turbine engines , it's because I saw films of exactly what even small amounts of foreign matter can do to a turbine engine , and likewise of engines that had sustained incredible damage and yet stayed running . It's truly "luck of the draw" whenever any foreign object is ingested and even though some engines survive that's no reason to believe that all turbine engines are "diesel locomotive tough" cause that's just not the case . Yes sir , the chances of an encounter are small , but increase with each and every drone that's put to the sky . The drone folks will say "but it's the same for model aircraft too !" without considering that the model aircraft will never leave it's operator's full unobstructed view whereas once the drone is BLOS there is no 360 degree view that insures it ain't 3 seconds away from disaster with a rapidly closing full scale . I do believe if a disaster of that sort is in the cards that it will be a drone and not a model aircraft that's involved . Pray it never happens , but if it does , pray also that enough healthy distance has been put between model aviation and drone ops by that time , so that our hobby may have a chance to survive . As it stands today , a horrific drone/airliner disaster would take us out as well , thanks to the presently non existent line between the two different types of flight ...
Brag all ya want.....just don't dislocate that shoulder.

Anyone who doesn't think something like a quad won't do damage to a turbine blade is either intentionally trying not to know...or just doesn't know. The same with a 10 pound octocopter wtih a 8S 10,000 mAH pack going into a 172's windshield. Forget the big stuff though....I've seen what FOD can do to a little 5 blade EDF fan. I had a piece of wiring get ingested into my 70mm DH Vampire Jet...that fan assembly shot out like the morning after Taco Bell. Sorry init..you started in earlier with the rear end talk. The light gauge wiring was cut in two..the fan blade completely gone. I know Sport is a good dude..and I know he knows better...he's just 'avin a go.