RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stihl MS660 big bore conversion.
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kevin. Do you realise what is meant by a thread highjack? I think your posts above constitute one. Try opening your own thread with a descriptive title and you will received more responses and I will have my thread back on the subject of this engine build. No offense implied.

Meanwhile I have made some progress with the machining of the engine parts. The pictures speak for themselves, so to say. The only one that has me a bit intimidated is fitting the centering spigot/plug to the prop drive. It fits very nicely for part of its length, but won't go in further without some force; I am reluctant to push it, as it might pick up the soft aluminium and create more of a problem. I did try spinning it in the lathe with a piece of 100 grit sandpaper on my finger, but did not seem to take out sufficient to alloy the plug to go all the way in. I am very reluctant to chuck it up again and machine more out of it, but cannot see an alternative at this stage. So far, all the machined parts I've made have been serviceable on my first attempt. I've surprised myself with the good results!
Any ideas for this?

It seems like my internet link is not working well enought to accept pictures; I will post them later, maybe in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine mountings.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	2137533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Propellor Hub.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	2137534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stihl intake manifold.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	2137535  

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 12-25-2015 at 01:16 AM.