RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Many Will Refuse to Register?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 08:26 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
There isn't a cop out there that can't figure out a reason to pull you over right now for doing nothing more than driving down the street. Not saying it's fair, it just is the reality. In CT, anything hanging from your rear view mirror is justification for stopping, even a piece of string. Guess how many people drive with their handicap sticker on the rear view? A light out, a smudge on the license plate that obscures a number. Cut that corner to short or too long turning right, brushed up against the center line..boom, here come the lights. Perhaps your car fits a vague description of a car involved in something a week ago, another reason. The best advice is to deal with it calmly. Hands on the wheel, be respectful. Tape the stop if you can on your phone. Move slow to get your paperwork. Answer the questions you feel you must, then move on. It's almost impossible to win any argument with a cop right there. We've all seen the videos too where things head way down the wrong path very quickly, is this hobby really worth anything close to that?

If the officer has violated any protocol, report it. Not sure, report it anyway, it creates a paper trail and a history that will follow the officer and can help establish a pattern and practice after the fact. Notwithstanding the forecasts of FAA troops or even LE at the local fields, have your paperwork at the ready in case you're approached, and just check the ego and answer the questions. Fine, some might call you a sheeple for not "standing up" to the cops, but I can bet 99.99% of the time you'll walk away to fly another day.
I agree and have repeatedly said 99% of the people that get roughed up or shot by the police have provoked it even if in some cases the officer may have went somewhat overboard. I have never had a bad experience
with a officer in over 40 years of driving and have had about 4 or 5 tickets in that time. I know people that are always in trouble with the police and won't register their cars and they end up having their lic revoked
and still drive, they are always paying steep fines having their cars impounded and doing time. I have always known that their way gets them no where fast I OTH always comply with the police and let them be
on their way as fast as possible and it always turns out well in fact I have had a couple of stops where I did not even receive a ticket. If a cop asks for my ID and papers while I am out flying I will politely give
them to him and let them move on to me that makes the most common sense.