RCU Forums - View Single Post - FSA Clubhouse
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 11:46 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the e-mail from the FAA.

It does lead off with a hopeful sentence- that there is a plan of some kind being developed so that we can resume flying at our club fields- but I am concerned under what types of restrictions that would include (just my own thoughts, not based on anything specific).

Also- the timing isn't bad- as we are entering the time of year when flying really slows down or stops for many of us. Hopefully this will be worked out and we can get back to safe flying again.

Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 10:17 AM
To: AMA
Cc: Multiple FAA contacts
Subject: Request for your assistance

Good morning everyone.

As we continue our efforts to develop a plan for the resumption of model aircraft operations in the Washington, D.C. Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), we are hearing reports that some individuals may be flying inside the SFRA even though they know it is in violation of the current airspace restrictions. We are asking for your help in spreading the word to the National Capitol Region model aircraft community that such activity is subject to enforcement action, and could damage our efforts to secure the interagency concurrence that is critical to this effort. As I have told many of you over the last weeks and months, there is increasing governmental support to make this happen, both within FAA and the whole of government, but our combined efforts could easily be delayed, or derailed entirely, by any incidents that involve folks knowingly operating within the SFRA in violation of current airspace restrictions. We know that the vast, vast majority of model aircraft hobbyists/enthusiasts, whether they are members of a formal organization or not, wholeheartedly follow the rules, police themselves and others, and do everything they can to operate safely and legitimately. Anything you can do to help us get the word out would be deeply appreciated. The last thing anyone wants to hear from the federal government is “be patient”, but you folks have been patient, and understanding, and we sincerely appreciate both as we work to try and get you back in the air.

On another note, many of you have invited FAA and our interagency security partners to come out and visit your flying sites and talk to your members, etc. We appreciate the invites and have extended them to our interagency law enforcement and security partners. We hope to take you up on the invitations in the near future. Additionally, I know that many of your members and fellow model aircraft enthusiasts have questions and concerns, about both the SFRA issue and model aircraft operations in general. I would be happy to address them directly, either in person or via telcon or email, and I’m sure my partners from FAA Legal, the UAS Integration Office, and Flight Standards would be more than willing to join in the discourse. If you are interested in such a discussion, just let me know.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you.