RCU Forums - View Single Post - POLICING has Already Started
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 08:44 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by psgugrad
Your assertion that it unconstitutional for a law enforcement officer to ask for your ID unless you're breaking the law is 100% false. Police officers have full legal authority to request your ID under many circumstances. For example, your appearance might fit the description of a wanted fugitive and the officer may need to verify who you are. There are other instances where you might not be breaking the law but the cop has legal authority to request your ID.

Whatever the circumstances, you are legally required to comply and the cop is not legally obligated to explain to you why he is requesting your ID. Out of politeness, he SHOULD (circumstances allowing) explain to you why he wants to see your ID if you (politely) challenge the request...however he is not required to do so.

I'm not a cop, but I do have law enforcement members in my family who I care about and I hate to see people spreading misinformation on this topic.
It seems many of the posters here think that it is unlawful for a cop to stop you and ask for ID without probable cause. I don't know what the laws are in the US, but I would think very similar to Australia?

Here a cop cannot by law, stop you and question/ask for ID unless they have reason to believe you have, or are about to commit a crime. Of course there are exemptions such as random breathyliser and vehicle checks etc. Many people, (cops included), are under the impression that the "badge", gives them the right to do so. Saying "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about", even though it is mostly true, is just a cop out, (no pun intended).

We all do have rights and they are slowly being eroded away by misinformation and scare tactics. Which unfortunately, most people fall for.

Just sayin'.