RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:51 PM
srecker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Paul Saure
Hi Srecker
Very nice gift!!!!

Advice:
- Don't reinforce anything.
- Don't enlarge nothing (elevators, rudder, etcetc). Plenty of throw even with the recommended low rates.
I have pictures of my build "a few" pages back with this advice.
This is an exceptional design, very precise and easy to fly. (Build it light and straight).

ENJOY THE BUILD!!!
Thanks for the advice! As I scan through this thread and see all the guys reworking everything from balancing the rudder to making built-up ailerons 30% larger, I can't help but think "Gee, I wish Dave Patrick knew how to make Aile's bigger. . . ." NOT!

Honestly, I don't want to be dissing anybody - kit-bashing is an ancient and respected art. But I want to build this one the way it was intended. By all reports it's one of the best-designed RC planes ever made, and that's the experience I'm after. If guys want to fly 3-D, there's hundreds of planes out there, from cheap foamies to half-scale monsters. For me, this one is going to be as-is!

I thought it was interesting that the original kit had a pull-pull rudder but a wood-block for elevators. What about a double-pull-pull system for the elevators?

The 45 down for the engine sounds great - avoid the "wart." in the cowl. I think I even know how to do right thrust with that setup, but what do you think about the 3-4 degrees the plan suggests for that engine? Is that about right?

I'm glad to see you recommend 2 aile servos, even though you emphasize "light." That was a definite for me - I like to mess with flap programming and such. I haven't looked carefully at the linkage. Is it set it up with the same throws for upper and lower ailerons, or is there a top/bottom differential?

And what about a source for the "extra" parts? Is the original gear mount area strong enough? I see guys building up that area.

Thanks!