RCU Forums - View Single Post - Four Hundred Feet?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
https://youtu.be/8O5DAZ-pcDk Here's an excellent chance to show off one of my little planes...
Actually....I have been having problems the past few years with "Full Scale" planes flying low across my field. This site is 1/2 mile from Interstate 5 and borders with a very busy commercially zoned boulevard, shopping centers, etc.
I had the local airport managers take a look at this video so that they could tell me how high they figured the plane was that flew right through the center of the loop that my 18 INCH SPAN model did.
I'm talking about the close encounter at the 30 second mark.
Both of the airport managers estimated that the full scale plane was at 500 feet if not higher.
I made it clear to them that my plane only has 18 inches of span and they "stuck to their guns", plus they warned me that I should be flying lower....!!
LOL.
You were definitely not flying above 400 feet here and the full size was much higher than you. Take the size your of your 18 inch wingspan at 30 seconds and compare it to the size of the tail on the full size at 32 seconds. The tail on the full size is much larger than 18 inches yet looks tiny compared to your wingspan. The apparent speed across the sky is another clue - the full size would by flying faster even though the apparent speed in the video is slower.

If both were at the same height the apparent sizes would look very different.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	351
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	2139199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled111.png
Views:	310
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2139200