RCU Forums - View Single Post - The single reason why drones are causing such problems for the AMA
Old 01-03-2016, 08:16 PM
jeffrey solomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a problem but was made our problem by inconsistencies in AMA polies.
Appeal to the FAA?
I don't think we appeal to them at all.
The FAA is the like the complainant and we are the defendant.
You got nothing to lose go ahead appeal to the FAA I did.
I think we would be better off appealing to our senators and congressmen
Sooner rather than later

Here is a pretty good letter if you want it

Dear Senator / Congressman

I am a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as a national community-based organization.

I am very distraught with the recent announcement by the Federal Aviation Administration that as of December 21, 2015, AMA flyers will have to register with the FAA.

This new requirement appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate. By promulgating new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives.
The new registration and identification requirement is a complete redundancy of our registration with the AMA. Combine this with the recent closure of 14 AMA chartered fields and it appears that the FAA is imposing needless hardships on our membership.
We have established an 80 year record of impeccable safety, and in fact have set the standard for safe operation of our model aircraft in our national air space. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely and responsibly.
I would welcome you or any member of your staff to visit our local flying site to witness first hand how we are good stewards of our land and airspace.
I’d be happy to discuss these issues with you or your staff if you have any further questions or concerns.
On behalf of all AMA members I hope that you will look into the legality and the fairness of their actions.
Thank you very much for your attention to this matter,