RCU Forums - View Single Post - Define a drone
Thread: Define a drone
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 02:12 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duncman
As I said in post 204, I'd like to see fixed wing separated, but that will not happen, or at least I seriously doubt it. I'm going to stick my neck out here, but the FAA's definition of a "Drone", as much as I hate to admit it, makes perfect sense if you look at it from a perspective outside the modeling world. Oh, and that 100cc does have the capability to have tail mounted camera and it likely has a very real capability of hovering and you never know, there might be some perverted clown out there that is up to the challenge of hovering it over a pool to get a shot of a couple of gals sunbathing. By virtue of that and many other reasons the FAA will hang onto that definition like a tigers tail.

the FAA's definition of a "Drone",
The FAA doesn't even recognize the word or anything as a "DRONE". They simply do not Use the Term.
All the FAA's references are UAS Unmanned Aircraft Systems as in No where does the FAA use the word "DRONE" when referring to any FAR or AC. I don't think the FAA ever uses the Term "DRONE", UAS is the FAA's term for R/C TOY's

[h=1]Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration[/h]No Reference to Drone here either

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/