RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 09:58 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 52larry52
I need some input from my fellow Cub Brothers (and sisters if there are any) on powering my latest Cub acquisition. I have a lot of assorted size glo powered Cubs, from 58" two stroke .25 engine to 100" 1.20 four stroke engine and six other in between size glo Cubs, some four stroke some two stroke. I thought I had a pretty good idea of how to power any size Cub but I'am not sure on this one.......it's a new Phoenix Super Cub ARF. The specs are 90.5" wing span (my tape measure says 91"), 11-12 lbs RTF, 57.9" long, full wing not clipped, wing area 78.7 dm2, and Phoenix calls for a 1.20 two stroke or a 1.50 four stroke! To me that sounds like way more engine than any Cub this size and weight would need for safe normal scale flying. I do fly off grass so I don't want a marginal power set up that struggles to get thru the grass on takeoff but a 1.50 four stroke??? Come on, that set up wouldn't need any runway for take off, just stand it on it's tail, rev her up and go vertical! Not Cub like at all. This airframe is very close in size and weight to a G.P. 60 size kit built J-3 Cub and G.P. calls for a 60-90 two stroke or a 70-90- four stroke. My gut feeling is a 90 four stroke would fly this Phoenix Super Cub quite well. In my "in stock" engine inventory I have the following choices...two stroke OS 61 FX, or Super Tiger 91, four stroke OS 91 Surpass, or older OS 1.20 non surpass. Which engine would you pick, or none of the above and do you agree that Phoenix has overstated the engine requirements for this plane? Thoughts and comments welcomed.
If your OS 120 is a 4 stroke I would go with it.
Rafeek