RCU Forums - View Single Post - Separation of Drones from the AMA
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
What do we do with AMA members (or others) who DO like multirotors and fly them safely?

If there flying LOS on a Sanctioned field... Whats the problem? Problem is that they DO NOT follow AMA or FAA rules do they??

10 times? So when ever there is 3 jets at your field there is 30 Drones??? OMG that is so unbelievable because we all know that drones want nothing to do with the AMA except to have the AMA to flip the bill when it comes time to protect them from the FAA.

Sign the petition or do not. There are enough other threads to discuss this. This thread is here purely to point you to a place where you can help the cause.
The greater Richmond, VA area has a population of around 1 million people. There are 4 AMA clubs that I would call "local" with membership of each around 40-50. In that area, there are exact 3 turbine waiver holders - and they are all in our club. In our club, there are at least 8 guys, probably more, who are actively flying multirotors and we've had two new inquiries about membership from new multirotor flyers in the past few weeks.

Given the numbers of multirotor flyers that I'm sure are in the other local clubs, I'd say that the 10-1 ratio of multirotor flyers to jet flyers is probably on the conservative side. Its probably more like 20+ to 1.

Regardless, multirotors *can* be flown safely under the AMA safety code, and we should not abandon those who want to do so - they didn't abandon us when turbines came out and the minority said "ban jets" when they thought that they were too dangerous, too loud, etc.

Bob