RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yes or No , Do you think the AMA was right or wrong to embrace DRONES ?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:59 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Your petition doesn't make any sense. Model airplanes ARE drones,.
Originally Posted by Vettster
No they are not. Only an FPV'er would say that. We all know what a drone is..
Originally Posted by init4fun
Although there are some that will stretch the meaning of the word drone so thin that it breaks in the middle , I've always favored ;

Does it have the ability to be effectively flown beyond It's operator's line of sight ? It's a drone .

Must it be kept in it's operators sight at all times due to not having the physical ability to be flown BLOS ? It's a model aircraft .

Note that there is purposefully no mention of type of aircraft because your LOS only multicopter most certainly IS a model aircraft , and your FPV equipped Easystar most certainly IS a drone !

Many will take umbrage with my simple definition of the difference between model aircraft VS drone , but to me sometimes things don't need to be all that complicated . In a nutshell ;

"It ain't the metal , it's the mission"

Happy Flying
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Really why does it matter. Officially for over a decade now the FAA has considered all sUAV and lumped all under one category. Recreational sUAV.
Because when folks are sittin around BSing about what the word drone means , I figure my input is just as good as yours is , Sport ......

And I believe Vettster oughta have the right to dope slap anyone who asks if it's a drone !

So There ......