RCU Forums - View Single Post - Separation of Drones from the AMA
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Daleroger
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BestBuy is giving out free AMA memberships with the purchase of a drone. Some may even send them in. I'm sure there are many drone pilots that started out affiliated with a model club, and stayed with it flying their drone at the club field. But, face it, most won't, AND flying a drone over open fields will bore them in a hurry. If you want to see what's really happening with drones, go to " phantompilots.com " and have a look. Drones flying over and into cars, houses, people, public places, public events, falling out of the sky. People flying them having no idea what their doing. The Flyaways are remarkable with one guy flying over the clouds, then then losing control, or "automated control", his drone tumbles 3000 feet to the ground somewhere. One guy puts one thru a windshield in a parking lot. Another guy is flying one down a NYC street 10 feet high, at night with his goggles, blocks away. I urge you to spend some time at that site, then come back here with some more informed comments on how it can "compliment" responsible model aviation. They are not going to join AMA and go fly at AMA fields. They are not going to learn skills both physical, and technical that we had to acquire to fly r/c. The drones are designed and marketed to fly themselves, IF everything works. These guys can't even calibrate the compass. We know how to assemble, build, calibrate, engines, electronics, cg's, trims ect.ect. They don't, and scratch their heads when the $1000 drone falls out of the sky. There is a full telemetry readout available after the fact, that tells what happened, and they don't know how to read it. In the end, it will probably come full circle and the FCC will require designated areas aka (model fields ) the only allowable drone areas , and hence the pilots will come under club rules, where they have to comply, or be banned from the club. Before you start the flaming, go check out the site, it's totally out of control, and only going to get worse.

Last edited by Daleroger; 01-10-2016 at 11:05 AM.