RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
But don't you understand they keep talking about the safety of the NAS and all you have described is a way to nail somebody after the fact. You even just said your 1st-51st objective is the safety of the NAS. But it's not really about preventing anything; it's about nailing somebody after the fact; which has nothing to do with safety.
Having the ability to nail somebody after the fact is the deterrent.

Some countries have the death penalty for first offence drink driving. Not many people die from drunk drivers in those countries.

Registration won't solve everything and it won't stop all the idiots but it will definitely stop some. It's the deterrent factor. Knowing there is a greater chance of getting caught if they do something stupid.

I would wager more people 'know' about the FAA guidelines now than would have without all this publicity. I am not saying it's the best solution at all but I do understand the reason for it and education is one objective.

You are right in your earlier post about green lasers. They are a problem. The FAA does not regulate them because they don't fly but there are laws making it illegal to point one at an aircraft in flight.

The severity of those penalties is what stops laser illumination events from occurring more often but they will never stop them all.