RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I can also tell you that we opened his eyes to many of the issues facing us, including the ramifications of 400 feet to the hobby. I don't think he understood that clearly before. He was also invited to, and accepted an invitation from a VP and club to come see in his own eyes what we are all about and maybe get some buddy box time.
The problem that concerns me is an "equal protection under law" with respect to the 400' limit and the dangerous ambiguity for any number and types of full scale aircraft operating at 500 AGL in many areas. These include general aviation aircraft over sparse areas or perhaps dealing with an emergency; it includes helicopters of all types, such as police, news, and LifeFlight; but most importantly it includes military aircraft operating on Military Training Routes (VR, IR, SR) - where they can be traveling at speeds of 400KIAS or more. But it also includes these same aircraft that may have to exit such routes VFR for any number of valid reasons, flying between 500' AGL or so and higher at 250KIAS until they establish a course of action, contact with ATC, etc.

My safety concern is how will the pilots of these aircraft know that the sUAS/UAS operating in the aircraft are flown by AMA members, thus enjoying a special privilege to fly above 400' AGL, or they are operated by unwashed masses of non-AMA members who have registered and shall remain 400' AGL and below.

A single nationwide standard for all non-commercial sUAS/UAS solves that problem. AMA member activities that have a special need to exceed that height can file a NOTAM - thus shifting an obligation of "knowing" that the activity exists in particular area to the full scale pilot.