RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:57 AM
TTRotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
My safety concern is how will the pilots of these aircraft know that the sUAS/UAS operating in the aircraft are flown by AMA members, thus enjoying a special privilege to fly above 400' AGL, or they are operated by unwashed masses of non-AMA members who have registered and shall remain 400' AGL and below.
This is why an exemption to the 400 will not happen IMO. As you know, there is enormous pressure on the FAA with respect to reducing pilot workload and at the same time even more pressure to reduce ATC workload and ensuing errors. NextGen ATS will actually ADD to pilot workload, because we will now have direct information on other aircraft in their area. Having to add additional layers of information-processing as it relates to sUAS operations is unacceptable to the FAA.

A single nationwide standard for all non-commercial sUAS/UAS solves that problem. AMA member activities that have a special need to exceed that height can file a NOTAM - thus shifting an obligation of "knowing" that the activity exists in particular area to the full scale pilot.
RC needs are unfortunately not the FAA's concern, in view of the above. Maybe I'm off base. I'd be interested to hear from another pilot.

Last edited by TTRotary; 01-13-2016 at 12:05 PM.